FastDomain Web Hosting Help
How To Setup Remote Database Connection - Configure MySQL client Access
See our article on Managing Your Database with Applications for some suggested programs and more details.
Use the following configuration settings for connecting to your database
Host name = (use the server IP address)
Database name = (cpanelUsername_databaseName)
Database username = (cpanelUsername_databaseUsername)
Database password = (the password you entered for that database user)
MySQL Connection Port = 3306
TCP or UDP, either is fine.
Allowing a Remote Server to Access Your Database
Before connecting to MySQL from another computer, the connecting computer must be enabled as an Access Host.
- Log into cPanel and click the Remote MySQL icon, under Databases.
- Type in the connecting IP address, and click the Add Host button.
- Note: You can find and add your IP address directly from this tool. Look for Your IP is: 126.96.36.199 [Add]. Clicking the [Add] link will input your IP into the field box below.
- Click Add, and you should now be able to connect remotely to your database.
Removing Access for a Remote Server to Access Your Database
To remove a host from accessing databases on your server:
- Click the X icon next to the IP address.
- If you are sure you wish to prevent the server from accessing your databases, click Yes.
Dynamic IP Addresses
Having a dynamic IP address means that the connecting IP address can change periodically depending on the Internet Service Provider (ISP). You must update the connecting IP in Remote MySQL every time it changes.
Managing Your Databases
After whitelisting the IP to allow remote connection, you should be able to make the proper remote MySQL connection with the database's name and user found in the cPanel's MySQL Databases page. The most common problem in connecting is due to an incorrect username and/or password. Please make sure the username you use matches the username created in the "MySQL Database" section of your cPanel. For examples of MySQL errors, please see the related article: MySql Errors