FastDomain Web Hosting Help
Ruby on Rails Setup
- Create your Rails Application
- Access Your RoR Application
- Setup the .htaccess file
- Configure your .bashrc
Create your Rails Application
- Install whatever version of rails you want (provided it's compatible with ruby 1.9.3) as a local user: gem install rails --no-rdoc --no-ri
Create a new Rails application.
rails new ~/APPNAME -d mysql
gem install rails -v 3.0.11 --no-rdoc --no-ri) You may also use Rails v. 2.x for your app using the following syntax
Access Your RoR ApplicationIf you are using a subdomain you can use the following steps to create the subdomain.
- Log into your fastdomain control panel
- Select 'Subdomains' from the 'Domains' section
- In the small form that loads, type in the name of your subdomain (example 'APPNAME')
- From the drop down box select which domain you want to create that subdomain on.
- Make sure the "Document Root" box points to the folder you want the subdomain to be tied to. In this case, we want it to point to the public_html/APPNAME folder that we just created.
ln -s ~/APPNAME/public ~/public_html/APPNAME
Setup the .htaccess fileYou'll need this in public folder for the app which sets everything up including where to look for user-installed gems. To add this simply run the following commands:
- Press i to edit the file.
- Paste in the code from below.
- Enter :wq
- Press Enter to save the changes.
#Set this to whatever environment you'll be running in
SetEnv GEM_HOME /home1/examplec/ruby/gems
Configure your .bashrcYou will need to add the following to your ~/.bashrc file.
Recommended Help Content
What Ruby on Rails version and Gems are installed?
My Ruby on Rails installation keeps displaying a '404 Not Found' error.
When I attempt to execute my Ruby on Rails application I receive "500- Premature end of script."
Related Help Content
How to install Redmine a Ruby on Rails application
How do I install my own Ruby Gems?
Knowledgebase Article 94,600 views tags: rails
What is the path to Ruby?
How to setup an email account in Outlook 2016 for Windows
How to setup an email account in Outlook 2016 for Mac
This article will explain how to use RoR through passenger on a hosting account